My name is Luciano Nooijen, I am co-founder of Bytecode Digital Agency B.V. and through Bytecode of different start-up ventures.
I currently work as a freelance software engineer. I specialize in software development of back-end applications in Golang, where I can also occasionally join the front-end development for integration with the back-end.
With my knowledge about both theoretical computer science and my broad practical experience for many different companies, my aim is to not to create cookie-cutter solutions, but to create software tailored for the specific use-case.
To see my availability and hourly rate, please see the recruiters page.
The technologies I’m currently working with the most and am most familiar with are in bold.
- Golang (Gin, Echo)
- Typescript (NodeJS, Express, Deno)
- Kotlin/Java (Spring Boot)
With mostly PostgreSQL as the underlying database.
Front-end and mobile development
- React with Typescript (with Redux, Styled-Components, NextJS)
- React Native (Expo or bare)
- Progressive Web Apps
Site Reliability Engineering and DevOps
- Linux (Arch, Ubuntu, CentOS)
- Docker and Kubernetes (Compose, Helm)
- Infrastructure and provisioning (Ansible, Terraform, Shell)
- CI/CD (GitLab)
- Systems integration
- Cloud (DigitalOcean, AWS)
- Compilers, parsers, DSLs: Golang, Rust, Haskell
- Systems programming: Rust, Golang, C
Professional work experience
08/2021 - present ~ Software engineer, freelance
I am available as a freelance software engineer. A dedicated page for which can be found here.
Bytecode Digital Agency B.V.
08/2021 - 02/2022 ~ Co-founder and techlead, part-time
In August 2021, I announced my exit from Bytecode. As part of my exit, I have continued working for Bytecode part-time, to finish up loose ends and transfer knowledge to other team members.
05/2018 - 08/2021 ~ Co-founder and techlead
- Team of 6 people, with expertise in development, design, sales and marketing
- Development of custom software, mostly web/mobile applications with backed by an API server
- Setting up infrastructure (internally and for clients), provisioning and security hardening
- Developing internal tooling to make the software development process more efficient
- Automating manual tasks to reduce the amount of toil involved in the development process
- Leading client software projects on both front- and back-end and software consultancy
- Involved in multiple startup, including partnerships and investments
VNG Realisering, Team NLX
08/2021 - 12⁄2021 ~ Senior software engineer
- Open-source public project share data between organisations in a safe and privacy-proof way
- Hands-on development on the back-end (Go), front-end (React) and SRE (Kubernetes, Helm)
- Improvements in development and build setup to improve development experience and speed
- Advisory role on technical improvements for the codebase for long-term roadmap
- Introduced Typescript into the React codebase and build systems
- Providing React and Typescript training to back-end developers
- Part of the contributions are public on GitLab
02/2021 - 11⁄2021 ~ CTO, ad interim
- Startup to revolutionize digital ordering of drinks at festivals, even without internet connection
- Responsible for the site reliability engineering and automation (Kubernetes, Go, Gitlab)
- Advisory role for the three native applications (Kotlin, Swift) and the BLE-protocol
- Leading role in the implementation of new working methodologies and development guidelines
- Advisory role on how to tackle the existing technical debt
- Responsible for selecting/screening new developers and onboarding them
06/2020 - 11⁄2021 ~ Partner and techlead (part-time)
- Startup for supporting mourners cope with their losses through various ways, investor through Bytecode
- Development of the custom backend application, written in Go, with PostgreSQL database
- Leading development of the mobile application in React/Typescript/Expo
- Software architecture and infrastructure setup, deployment automation
- Advisor for technical decisions and determining the feature roadmap
02/2020 - 08/2021 ~ Partner and techlead (part-time)
- Startup for helping young people to further develop their entrepreneurial side, investor through Bytecode
- Development of custom backend application in Go and CMS
- Leading development of the frontend application in React/Typescript/NextJS
- Software architecture and infrastructure setup, deployment automation
- Part of the management team (MT) and advisor for technical decisions
Eneco / Dept Agency
05/2019 - 03/2020 ~ Software engineer, ad interim
- Leading frontend developer for De Omschakelaar project at Eneco, via Dept Agency
- Front-end development in React/Typescript with Redux connected to .NET Core for data fetching/saving
- Creating code generation tools to convert different data formats to JSON to be used for calculations
- Using automation to speed up the development process
- Creation of tooling to better tackle existing technical debt
12⁄2017 - 05/2018 ~ Full-stack software engineer
- Team with 9 people (4 developers), using SCRUM
- Working on the Stager ticketing software, built using Java Play! and ReactJS
- Development of custom email builder using ReactJS, Java Play! and AWS
- Integration of custom email builder within the rest of the application
- Email templating solution based on MJML
Nooijen Web Solutions
05/2015 - 05/2018 ~ Owner, founder and developer
- Team with 4 people, working in a SCRUM-like manner
- Development of websites and web applications
- Server administration and maintenance
- Involved in sales, marketing, project management and administrative tasks
- Discontinued at the start of Bytecode
07/2014 - 12⁄2018 ~ Owner and founder
- Started out of a love for chemistry to support hobby chemists getting started
- Development of the webshop using WordPress/WooCommerce with custom additions
- Running and maintaining the webshop on all aspects (including administrative tasks)
- Marketing-related activities to promote the webshop and generate inbound traffic
- Discontinued so I could fully focus on Bytecode
06-2021 - present ~ Reading group leader and moderator
Leading the reading groups on Stoicism, Aristotle and general book discussion group.
Other resonsibilities include Discord server administration, development and maintenance of the custom-made bot, helping out new members and automating tasks.
Gaga Animal Care
04/2017 - present ~ Treasurer and webmaster
Responsibilities include website creation and maintenance, supervising the administration and financial tasks.
2013 - 2015 ~ Swimming tutor assistant
Leading and assisting swimming lessons for young children.
Atlas Animal Project
10⁄2013 - 12⁄2015 ~ Volunteer and assisting where needed
Occasionally assisting Atlas-representative(s), usually at Schiphol airport with dogs that arrived or collecting dog benches and returning them to Kos via cargo.
Animal Rescue Kos
03/2013 ~ Documentary director
Assisting volunteers living on Kos and filming the activities. After filming I edited, released and promoted the film. Finished documentary: bit.ly/arkfilm or bit.ly/arkfilmgermany
The human languages I speak
- Dutch (native)
- English (near-native)
- German (intermediate)
- French (beginner)
- Modern Greek (beginner)
- Ancient Greek (beginner)
- Latin (beginner)
Methods I employ to deliver elegant, efficient, readable, understandable and maintainable code that adds value to a company and/or product.
- “Always choose the best tool for the job”
- Cloud and application structure using The Twelve-Factor App
- Software architecture through the principles of The Clean Architecture, DDD and Layered Architecture.
- Prevention of technical debt, short term and long term
- Everything (even infrastructure as code) in version control (Git) via GitFlow.
- Project management via SCRUM/Agile principle, without unnecessary meetings
- Bringing together Development, Security and Operations through DevSecOps and secure by design.
- Prioritise via the MoSCoW method and the 80 / 20 rule.
- Development on the basis of Test-Driven Development (TDD)
- Functional programming where possible
- SOLID, KISS and DRY code
- Versioning according to Semantic Versioning
- Use of Design Patterns to improve readability, performance and maintainability
- Adhere to the ACM Code of Ethics
- Use of free (open-source) software where possible